Thursday 20 July 2017

Learning all summer....

We home school year round.. because after all life is learning right?!   I must admit our spring/summer learning looks a lot different than our fall/winter.  In the spring and summer we take a break from our usual routine... there is much more outdoor time and exploring!

We also work through Summer Bridge activity books (a different company than our usual workbooks).  I really love these.. the kidlets get a chance to review concepts, they are also introduced to some new or different ways of doing things and they like that there is only 2 pages to do per day! 


My daily mantra of read something, write something and do some math remains the same!

Sweet Pea, who is 11, likes to make her own schedule and her summer learning looks like this....

"Can I bake something?"


"Mom, check out this dishcloth I knitted!"
"Can I look on Pinterest for something to sew?"


She also has at least two novels on the go.... This summer she is really enjoying the Artemis Fowl series.  There is also a graphic novels of the first few books!


Her latest selections from the library look like this....


I am loving The Daring Book for Girls... it has a little of everything in it.. from knots to skipping rope rhymes to how to make a willow whistle and stories about daring girls!

Her science choice of Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World looked so good, I may be stealing it after she goes to sleep to read it myself!!

And I may be a bit biased since I do sell Usborne Books.... but The Usborne Book of Art might be added into our curriculum rotation!

Goober, who is 8, is a bit more eclectic in his choice of activities....  there is plenty of lego on my floor and frequent requests to play Minecraft or Prodigy (which I don't mind because it is a great math game)....

When those Minecraft requests are denied he will turn to paper and start planning his next building!
 

Goober is currently working his way through Book One of The Elementia Chronicles...  it is definitely the most challenging of the books he has read so far but he is enjoying it!


 His latest library selections also center around his current obsession.... 


As far as I'm concerned he can read these Minecraft Handbooks all day... and I must say he doesn't waste his minecraft time when he gets it, between the planning and reading he knows exactly what he needs to do!

For the rainy days when Goober chooses a board game.. 
this is usually his go to... Minecraft Card Game 


What does your summer learning look like?





No comments:

Post a Comment